A new survey taken by 5, 481 unattached participants 21 and older found the key qualities that both single men and women are looking for in a potential partner and the qualities that are considered “deal-breakers” when dating.
The singles survey conducted by MarketTools for the online dating service Match.com asked single men and women what their “must haves” were when dating, plus their biggest turnoffs and least important qualities in a relationship, reports USA Today.
Some of the biggest findings definitely reflect a cultural shift in the age of technology and social media with 38% admitting they would cancel a date because of something they found while doing Internet research on their date. The survey also found 48% of single women and 38% of men research a date on Facebook before going out the first time.
So what are today’s single men and women looking for in each other? The survey revealed the results of the top ranked “must-haves” for men and women when dating.
Must Haves for Men:
- Someone to trust and confide in — 63%
- Someone who is respectful — 57%
- Physical attractiveness — 40%
- Sense of humor — 37%
- Comfortable with sexuality — 36%
Must Haves for Women:
- Someone who is respectful — 84%
- Someone to trust and confide in — 77%
- Sense of humor — 58%
- Shares the same values — 47%
- Comfortable communicating needs/wants/desires — 46%