Tips To Beat The Summer Heatwave
While other areas of the country have been experiencing record temperatures this summer, things are just starting to finally heat up in SoCal.
This week, many areas in the Southland will reach temps in the triple digits and the high 80s around L.A., and with such scorching heat weighing down, many will do anything to cool down and feel comfortable in this heat.
Thankfully, some relief from the heatwave is just within reach with these handy summer tips from the LAFD to help keep cool:
1. Stay out of the sun — To avoid being exposed to the sun that will leave you prone to sunburns and heat exhaustion, don’t go outdoors during the hottest time of the day between noon and 4 pm.
2. Limit your activity — Save your workouts for the early morning or evenings.
3. Dress accordingly — Avoid heavy fabrics and wear lightweight, loose clothing that will let your skin breathe.
4. Watch what you eat — Heavy and hot meals will only increase your metabolism, which in turn increases body temperature. Stick to lighter meals like salads and fruit to keep cool and satisfied.
5. Drink plenty of water — The most important tip of all, remember to keep hydrated in the heat with water, juice or sports drinks that will keep your body cool.
Of course, there’s always heading out to the beautiful SoCal beaches or swimming pools to take a dip and cool down from the sun. Or even by taking advantage of the cool air conditioning at places like stores or movie theaters to beat the heat!