“Shotgun Tom” Kelly at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa – Day 5 (page 3)
September 30, 2011 2:50 PM
“Shotgun Tom” Kelly’s interview with George Applegate, Executive Director of the Big Island Visitors Bureau:
Highlights of the interview:
- The Island IS Hawaii, just not the Hawaii Island.
- Hawaii Island is bigger than all the other Hawaiian islands put together.
- Hawaii Island is different from the other islands with its vast diversity, 11 out of 13 weather climatic zones.
- The area where the Resort is averages 6 inches of rain a year.
- The temperature doesn’t over 90 degrees and stays dry.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is the hottest attraction in the state of Hawaii.
- There are three active volcanoes on the island.
- There are two sides of the Hawaii Island, the Kona side and the Hilo side. The weather and culture are the different between the two sides…the west side (Kona) is the dry, the water is very calm, visibility is about 100 ft on a clear day, there’s great fishing and golf courses…east side (Hilo) is the wet side with rainbows, waterfalls, flowers, has less vegetation, and is where papayas and mangoes come from.