Well it’s the time of year. Back to school. A great time for parents, but not so much for the kids. Millions of children nationwide are transported to and from school on school buses. But how many know their school bus safety?
Below are some school bus safety tips from First Student, one of the largest student transportation companies in the country:
1. Walk on sidewalks, where available.
2. Leave plenty of time to get to the bus stop. When you rush, you may not follow traffic safety rules.
3. Remain alert at all times; don’t listen to your iPod, text, talk on your cell phone or play handheld video games because you may not know what’s going on around you.
4. Because if wearing a hood that’s up; it makes it difficult to see.
5. When waiting for the bus, stay away from the street and don’t play around so you’re aware of traffic.
6. Make sure you can see the driver of the bus at all times by staying ten giant steps away from the outside of the bus.
7. Wait for the bus to stop completely before you approach it to get on or to stand up to exit the bus.
8. Clothes or backpacks should not have drawstrings, toggles or key chains. They can get caught on bus handrails and doors.
9. Hold the handrail so you don’t trip on the stairs.
10. Find a seat and sit down immediately.
11. Know your driver’s name and bus number to be sure you’re boarding the correct bus.
12. Be courteous and respectful to the driver.
13. Talk and laugh quietly with friends, do not scream, it distracts the driver.
14. Do not put your head, arms, papers or anything out the window.
15. If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up, the driver may not see you. Instead, ask the driver for help.
16. If you have to cross the street, wait until the driver lets you know it’s ok.
17. Stay away from the wheels of the bus at all times, especially the read wheels where it’s hard for the driver to see you.