First Lady Michelle Obama has been working hard to rally against the onset of childhood obesity with her “Let’s Move” campaign aimed to get kids and families to get more active outdoors. Enlisting the support of celebrities like [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Beyonce[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Taylor Swift[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Jonas Brothers[/lastfm] and all star football and baseball players, Mrs. Obama has been encouraging kids to run, play and dance until they run out of breath with the “Let’s Move” movement.
Your child’s health begins at home, and in order to help motivate your family to get at least 60 minutes of activity in every day, try these “Let’s Move” inspired family oriented activities that mom, dad and the kids will enjoy doing!
1. After dinner walk: After clearing off the table when finished with a nutritious family dinner, round-up the family, put on a comfortable pair of walking shoes and walk off that meal around the neighborhood. Circle the block or go explore the neighborhood on a group walk that will bring you closer and keep you fit at the same time!
2. Family fun day at the park: Designate a specific time of the week for a trip to the closest area park. Let the kids run wild in the open fields and get physical on the playground. Bring toys that encourages playing together like a Frisbee, flying a kite, riding bikes or jump ropes for double dutch that’s both fun and will get the heart pumping!
3. Volunteer coaching a sports team: Encourage you children to join team sports like baseball, football, soccer or more and help train along with them as the coach or volunteer! Participate in the game with you children to motive them to become more active and learn essential team-building skills.
4. Explore nature on a hike: Get some vitamin D and head outside into the woods to explore the wonders of the outdoors on a hike in the mountains. Discover the plants and wildlife found in nature, climb trees and conquer the uphill battle of a nature hike that will increase your cardiovascular health and strengthen bones!
5. No sitting still during commercials: Make a playful house rule to keep active even when you’re taking some time out to watch TV. During the commercials get the family up and moving around by running up and down the stairs, playing games or anything that gets you off the couch!
Keeping the family active and healthy is simple and fun once you get started! For more fun ways to spend time with the family, check out our Family Fun Wednesday features!
[Source: Let’s Move]