The Top Worst Songs That Reached Number One On The Charts

david cassidy The Top Worst Songs That Reached Number One On The Charts

Photo: YouTube

Just because a song reached number one on the charts doesn’t mean it’s any good. Many of the chart topping singles throughout the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s are also some of the same tunes we cringe at every time we hear them. This morning we’re taking a look back at the top worst songs that reached number one on the charts that all started with the birthday boy, David Cassidy.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Partridge Family[/lastfm]: “I Think I Love You” — The hit TV sitcom family had a huge No.1 hit in 1970, much thanks to the birthday boy and teen heart throb, David Cassidy.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Chuck Berry[/lastfm]: “My Ding-A-Ling” — The novelty song about silver bells hanging on a string that had an extreme double entendre went No.1 for Berry in 1972.

PAGE 2 Let’s Get Physical With Olivia Newton-John

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Olivia Newton-John[/lastfm]: “Physical” –The song and the video were equally terrible, but that didn’t stop it from hitting No.1 in 1981.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Terry Jacks[/lastfm]: “Seasons In The Sun” –This was Jacks’ major hit in 1974.

PAGE 3 Care for some ‘Afternoon Delight?’

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Starland Vocal Band[/lastfm]: “Afternoon Delight” –The song about getting down in the afternoon was disguised in an upbeat, poppy tune that reached No.1 in 1976.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Rupert Holmes[/lastfm]: “Escape” — Otherwise known as “The Pina Colada Song,” this island song that hit No.1 in 1979 will forever be sung as we sip pina coladas while lounging in a hammock on the beach.

PAGE 4 Disco died as soon as ducks started singing No.1 hits

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Paper Lace[/lastfm]: “The Night Chicago Died” –Who knew a song about the great Chicago fire could be so informational and catchy at the same time? This reached No.1 in 1974.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Rick Dees and His Cast Of Idiots[/lastfm]: “Disco Duck” — Well, you can figure out why this one made the list on your own. Not only did it include “Donald Duck-esque” singing, it actually had disco-dancing ducks in the video.

Have any more worst No.1 hits that you didn’t see? Add them to the list!

Comments

1. Liza says:

OMG…I so loved all those songs. I also remember a song, but I don’t know if it was no. 1….The band was OXO and I think the song was whirly ride…or my ride…It was a funny song and video!!

1. oldies76 says:

“Whirly Girl” only reached #28 in 1983

2. fran says:

I am with Lisa on this. I love them all !!! Ok what about Bobby Sherman ??? Julie Julie Julie do you love me? Was that a number one song? You Guys are the BEST !!!!!

1. oldies76 says:

“Julie” was #1 in L.A. on the old KHJ charts. Nationally, it reached #5 in 1970.

3. Brian says:

They are all so good yet so bad! And I just want to say that Rick Dees is a legit artist who created musical magic!!! Ok, I’m over my moment now…sorry…

4. Beth says:

I rather liked Seasons in the Sun

5. RainbowRay says:

I absolutely LOVE those nostalgia clssics like “I Think I Love You” (was listening to that song and actually watching that video yesterday while thinking of Fiona; boy that song makes me feel good and ROMANTIC, hubba! hubba!

I don’t see what’s wrong with “My Ding-a-Ling”. I think it’s a funny song along with Alan Sherman’s, “Camp Granada” (“Hello mudda, hello fudda; remember that?). There is something to nostalgic songs even if they are considered “Bad songs” or “one hit wonders”. In MY OPINION, many of them are quite good!!

RainbowRay
    ???????

6. RainbowRay says:

Season’s In The Sun came out in 73 or 74 and remember that song very well (have the vinyl single to that song). Terry Jacks (a Canadian artist) and Susan Jacks (his sister I believe) were part of the popular (back then) “Poppy Family”. How many of you remember them? (Which Way You Goin Billy?).

Season’s in The Sun really moves me when I listen to it as I reflect on my childhood, growing up years going from childhood into adolescentary and then into adultery (HA! HA!).

Sad years, let go but can never forget. Now it’s a different story as I pursue my RainbowRay, Eric’s Mirror and falling in love with Fiona in Memphis at Graceland dreams.

Thank you KEARTH101 for (indirectlY) helping me keep my spirits up with the blogs and videos; it’s helping me alot as I make my way to L.A.

RainbowRay
    ??????

7. RainbowRay says:

“Afternoon Delight”, now there is a great “one hit wonder” song. I remember listening to this when it first came out and I know for a fact, my brother (Imants) especially loved this song (he would play it constantly on his cassette tape, maybe even 8 track and record). Great tune!

“Escape (The Pina Coloda Song” by Rupert Holmes is another great song I remember and still have the single too. I think the flipside to that single was a tune called, “Holiday in Hollywood” ( a nice catchy tune to listen to when your travelling). or was that Cliff Richard??

RainbowRay
    ??????

8. jeffk says:

Boobs-A-Lot! What ever happened to Boobs-A-Lot?

9. phishtako says:

agree with Liza and fran… these songs didnt get to be number 1 by accident…it’s cuz they’re awesome, i love all these songs just like all the people that made it number 1 did…

10. David Rojas says:

Each song had its place for the time period they came out…Don’t think that alot of todays music we think is great today won’t be on the same type of list later in years…….If a song becomes #1 alot of people must of liked it.

11. Lorrie says:

I like all the songs on your list, with the exception of Disco Duck. Another #1 song I didn’t “get” was Candyman by Sammy Davis, Jr.

12. derrel says:

Like his remind’s me of when my first love in 79

13. derrel says:

Remind’s of my first love met in 79 when this came out

14. oldies76 says:

1968’s “Honey” is a really sad song. Also ’74’s “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” is one always mentioned as the worst. “We Built This City” in 1985 is also ranked as one of the bad ones.

Here’s a listing of all the #1’s nationally:

15. Bob says:

How about ‘Chevy Van’?

1. oldies76 says:

#5 in 1975.

16. Dee says:

I hated Billy Don’t be a Hero since I was in the 6th grade

We used to sing My Ding A Ling. We thought it was cute and catchy.

17. Charbaby says:

How about “Honey”? Blah!

1. jeannean lomax says:

I was 7 seven when Honey came out and it made me cry back then…but as adults my sister and I bust up LAUGHING whenever that song comes on!!! It’s so sad it’s HORRIBLE AND FUNNY!!!

18. jeannean lomax says:

Not sure if it reached number one, but you guys play it a lot! Jack and Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp. That song is HORRIBLE in every way…lyrically….the music… the vocals…it sounds like something a 4th grader would write . Everytime I hear it on KEARTH or any station I reach for mute!!!

1. oldies76 says: