Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman met in 1962 when they were both in their early high school years. Their friendship became life-long. They formed “The Turtles” and became one of the biggest rock bands in the country after graduation, and still perform together in 2011. They had a number of Top Ten Hits and one even reached the Number ONE spot on the charts, where it is This Week in 1967.
Last week’s position in (brackets)
1. HAPPY TOGETHER/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Turtles [/lastfm](1) — spending its third and final week at #1
2. DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Mamas and the Papas[/lastfm] (2) — a remake of the Shirelles hit of the early 1961
3. SOMETHIN’ STUPID/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Frank and Nancy Sinatra[/lastfm] (9) — will hit #1 next week; the only father/daughter duo to reach the top of the charts
4. BERNADETTE/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Four Tops [/lastfm](5) — in its peak position. It’s the last Top Ten hit the group will have on Motown Records
5. THIS IS MY SONG/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Petula Clark[/lastfm] (6) — Silent movie comedian Charlie Chaplin wrote this tune for his movie “A Countess From Hong Kong” starring Marlon Brando and Sophia Loren!
6. PENNY LANE/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Beatles[/lastfm] (3) — it hit #1 for a week in mid-March. It was the Fab Four’s 13th chart-topper in just a little over three years!
7. WESTERN UNION/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Five Americans[/lastfm] (10) — it peaked at #7. Anyone remember this one?? It’s an “Oh Wow” for sure!
8. I THINK WE’RE ALONE NOW/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Tommy James & the Shondells[/lastfm] (12) — Tommy formed this group when he was only 12 years old. This is their 2nd top ten hit, following their 1966 debut “Hanky Panky.”
9. A LITTLE BIT ME, A LITTLE BIT YOU/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Monkees[/lastfm] (19) — this will peak at #2 in late April. It’s the follow-up to their biggest hit, “I’m A Believer.”
10. THERE’S A KIND OF HUSH/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Herman’s Hermits [/lastfm](4) — This group is only the 3rd British act and 2nd UK group in the Top Ten this week as the “British Invasion” seems to be cooling a bit.
So which one of these tunes is YOUR favorite? Where were YOU in mid-April of 1967?? We’d love to hear your comments!!