Elton John Joins the Rank of K-EARTH 101 Artists Who’ve Hosted/Performed on Saturday Night Live
Revealing the exciting news at his annual Oscar viewing party, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Elton John[/lastfm] is confirmed to not only perform on an upcoming episode of the late night sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, but also play double duty as the host for the night!
He’ll appear in the episode airing on April 2, and will be joined by collaborator Leon Russel for the performance of “Empty Garden” and “Ball And Chain.”
He joins the ranks of numerous K-EARTH 101 artists who’ve also acted as both host and musical guest on the show. See our top ten K-EARTH artists who’ve hosted on SNL and their hilarious clips from the show!
1. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Paul Simon[/lastfm] — November 20, 1976: In a Thanksgiving episode, Paul Simon came out on stage in a turkey costume in a hilarious, self-deprecating monologue.
2. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Kris Kristofferson[/lastfm] — July 31, 1976: Country crooner Kristofferson brought along his then-wife Rita Coolidge for an unforgettable season finale of the first season of SNL.
3. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Madonna[/lastfm] — February 22, 1992: Madonna was a frequent guest on the show, but her appearance on the iconic sketch “Coffee Talk with Linda Richman” went down as one of the most memorable moments of the show. Along with Mike Myers and Rosanne Barr, the three were surprised as their main topic of discussion, Barbra Streisand, showed up in the flesh!
4. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Ray Charles[/lastfm] — November 12, 1977: Ray Charles appeared in Season 3 of the show, which included gut-busting skits and fantastic performances of “I Can See Clearly Now,” “What I’d Say,” “I Believe in My Soul,” “Hit the Road Jack,” “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.”
5. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Stevie Wonder[/lastfm] — May 7, 1983: Stevie Wonder was always one to make light of his disability and make people laugh. This classic clip shows Stevie endorsing an easy-to-use camera that anyone can use!
6. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]The Rolling Stones[/lastfm] — October 7, 1978: The Rolling Stones were the first and only band to ever host SNL and appear in the sketches together.
7. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Sting[/lastfm] — January 19, 1991: We know Sting to be a docile, peaceful man, but in this hilarious sketch with the late, great Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra, he takes on a different role of a punk-rocker.
8. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Olivia Newton-John[/lastfm] — May 22, 1982: The Aussie star helped the SNL cast members get “Physical” with humorous sketches and performances of her biggest hits!
9. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Janet Jackson[/lastfm] — April 10, 2004: Hosting duties on SNL aren’t an easy feat, as Miss Jackson learned in this tongue-tied sketch dubbed in suggestive innuendos (and NSFW!).
10. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Quincy Jones[/lastfm] — February 10, 1990: Along with hosting and performing, super producer Quincy Jones brought with him 10 other artists to perform in one spectacular night and set an SNL record.