KTLA 5 Weatherman Mark Kriski Speaks Out About Near-Death Experience With Pneumonia

mark kriski KTLA 5 Weatherman Mark Kriski Speaks Out About Near Death Experience With Pneumonia

Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images

For the first time since his illness, KTLA 5 weatherman Mark Kriski came to K-EARTH 101 to speak out about his severe bout with pneumonia that kept him off the KTLA Morning News since November, 2010. He’s back full of energy and is preparing for his big return to his morning show post to give all of Los Angeles the daily forecast starting on Monday!

Listen to the entire interview with Mark Kriski as he explains first hand what he experienced exclusively with the K-EARTH 101 Morning Show!

[pullquote quote=”I feel great right now, but wow, what a ride over the holidays.” credit=”Mark Kriski”]

We’ve missed hearing his daily weather forecasts, but Mark Kriski has fully recovered from his serious illness that kept him off the air. For the first time, Mark has personally spoken out about what really happened during this scary experience.

“I feel great right now, but wow, what a ride over the holidays,” Mark told Gary & Lisa. He continued by explaining how he came down with the illness saying, “It starts out just as easy as catching a cold, turns into a little bit of pneumonia. Then all of a sudden, I got some infections…and they just don’t have the antibiotics right now that managed to effectively knock them out.”

The infections spread into his internal organs affecting his kidneys, lungs, liver and heart, almost causing his organ functions to completely shut down. He had to be taken to the ICU and had two operations to drain fluids and was kept at the hospital for two and a half months to recover.

He has one more final procedure in a couple of weeks to make sure everything is functioning normally and everything’s cleared up. He returns to work on Monday on KLTA 5 Morning News from 7-10, but let his near-death experience be a lesson to get checked out when you come down with a cold.

Listen to the entire interview and hear straight from Mark himself what he went through during those few months.

Comments

1. Carmen Harr says:

I am sooo glad that he is better and will be reruning to the morning news. I watch it every morning, while getting ready for work. He has been sorely missed. I do love that Henry DiCarlo..hope he stays on somewhere. Would hate to see him go..WELCOME BACK MARK!!🙂

2. Joseph says:

I’m glad to hear that Mark is ok and coming back. I watch KTLA Morning News every morning Monday through Friday, and look forward to his return. Not to say that Henry is not a suitable replacement, but Mark is in a league of his own. Hurry back.

3. JEANNE says:

YEA, MARK IS COMING BACK.HE’S THE REASON WE WATCH KTLA MORNING NEWS. HENRY IS OK BUT,HE’S NO MARK, DIDN’T CARE FOR HENRY WHEN HE WAS ON CBS NEWS. WELCOME BACK MARK.YOU’VE BEEN MISSED.

4. cherylc says:

Mark is what brought be to KTLA & is the only original morning crew left. Stay well Mark!

5. Collette says:

Saw you today at CPK. You looked so sick still. Glad you are getting better. Good thoughts your way.

6. marjiscott says:

Welcome Back, Mark! I also had this happen to me in ’09 after major open heart surgery.My lungs became filled with fluid, had NINE thoracentesis procedures done over a period of FIVE months in the hospital.Three of them spent in ICU also intubated.
    I have since recovered, as will you.
    I certainly will be watching on Monday to cheer you on! God Bless!

7. RainbowRay says:

Glad to hear that Mark’s okay, But I’m just thinking that I’ve been thinking about this many times as I pursue my Eric’sMIrror and RainbowRay dreams and that is “everyone in life has gone through something (an ordeal) and that life is precious”, am I right? Have fun at KTLA again! Yeah, have a great life!

RainbowRay
    ??????

8. bEVERLY says:

wELCOME BACK MARK I SURE HAVE MISSED YOU, AS A FORMER ICU RN, I KNOW EXCATLY WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO YOU AND APOLOGIZE FOR THEM ALLOWING YOU TO GET INFECTED. THIS COULD PROBABLY HAVE BEEN PREVENTED BY BETTER HANDWASHING AND PREVENTING CROSS CONTAMINATION. I AM GLAD THEY DIDN’T KILL YOU. I HOPE SOMEONE IS FEEDING YOU GOOD STUFF. LOVE BEV

9. Rosa says:

Welcome back Mark, glad you are feeling better. Don’t get sick again, Henry DeCarlo is all I hear about at work, he’s getting too popular!

10. Shelley says:

Welcome back Mark!! I read “Bev’s” remarks below – the nurse who comments on hospitals. I’ve had “walking pneumonia” 3 times in my life & joke about it. Not after hearing your story. Maybe Ch. 5 should do a story about your experience for wiseguys and girls like me. All the best. (Ms.) Shelley

11. michele proffett says:

is mark divorced again? wasn’t he just married for the second time like a year ago?

12. Scott says:

I went through a very similar, but shorter deal (pneumonia, intubated 5 day medically induced coma & 12 day stay, and can tell you that, for me, shortness of breath & basic weakness were far greater symptoms than the usual stuffy nose/body ache cold symptoms.
    Even out of the coma, weakness was so great, taking a small sip of water from a styrofoam cup took 30 seconds, leaving me absolutely exhausted. Scariest thing I’ve ever endured, but so happy Mark is back.
    It’s hard to keep good people down!

13. Doreen Means says:

I have watched Mark from day one years ago. Iam so glad he is doing better! It’s nice to have our weatherman back! Your were missed. Take care

14. Nancy says:

I am so glad you are back. What a challenge you have faced. I am happy to know you are on the mend for your family’s sake and the people like us who enjoy you morning updates!!

15. JANET says:

You’re the best… Go slow and hang in there. Great to see your smile again… You’re the best!!

16. Kimberly says:

So glad that mark is better!!!! Best wishes to him and returning to the news with his upbeat personality!!Missed him dearly,and wishing him the best!!

17. Karla Marti says:

We lov you Mark, and missed you a lot

18. sandra montilla says:

glad to have u back we really miss u cracking ur funny jokes early in yhe morning

19. sandra montilla says:

glad u are back we missed u i miss listening to ur joke in the morning please stay well

20. MJ fan says:

wow, I am glad he survived, but over two month in Hospital, when he gets the bill, Oh boy.

21. Yvonne Kerdoon says:

Mark, So happy you are feeling better!!! I moved to the desert from PV last year and cant get ktla morning news in Rancho Mirage, I miss all of you guys!!

22. FRANK MARTINEZ says:

MARK I JUST FOUND OUT WHAT HAPPEND AND I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN SICK FOR A WHILE BUT I HOPE YOU GET BETTER I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AND THANK GOD THE LORD SAVED YOUR LIFE I WATCH KTLA EVERY MORNING AT 4.30 AM AND I MISSED SEEING YOU THERE BUT IM GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK BUDDY MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

23. Leticia Corona says:

Welcome back Mark, glad your doing better, my family have missed see you on the air over the last few months, the 5:30 am news is not the same without you… We don’t see you anymore becuse we are on the road my 6:45… We have been watching you since the start.. You, Carlos, Barbara and Jeniffer… Again Welcom back…

24. Marty Quintana says:

I am so thankful Mark that you are feeling so much better. My family and I will be praying for you continually.