Today's Tickets @ 2 Song: “Iris” by Goo Goo Dolls

Top 10 Songs That Make Men Cry

Men, have you ever been driving home when suddenly you find yourself rolling up your car windows in hopes no other drivers hear you blasting [lastfm]Elton John[/lastfm]‘s “Candle In The Wind” as the tears roll down your cheeks? Turns out you may not be alone. A new UK survey recently revealed the top ten songs that make men cry the most.

The survey was conducted by PRS for Music, an organization which collects and pays royalties to its songwriting and composing members. In a statement, PRS for Music’s chairman Ellis Rich said,

A well-written tear-jerker is one that people can relate to and empathize with. It is this lyrical connection that can reach deep down emotionally and move even the strongest of men.

The list of top ten songs isn’t all that surprising, really, although we’re kind of surprised some other staple tracks did not make it. You mean you don’t cry to “I Would Do Anything for Love” by [lastfm]Meatloaf[/lastfm]? What kind of man are you?!

Full list below. What songs do you think should have also made the cut?

1. ‘Everybody Hurts’ — [lastfm]R.E.M[/lastfm]
2. ‘Tears in Heaven’ — [lastfm]Eric Clapton[/lastfm]
3. ‘Hallelujah’ — [lastfm]Leonard Cohen[/lastfm]
4. ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ — [lastfm]Sinead O’Connor[/lastfm]
5. ‘With or Without You’ — [lastfm]U2[/lastfm]
6. ‘The Drugs Don’t Work’ — [lastfm]The Verve[/lastfm]
7. ‘Candle in the Wind’ — [lastfm]Elton John[/lastfm]
8. ‘Streets of Philadelphia’ — [lastfm]Bruce Springsteen[/lastfm]
9. ‘Unchained Melody’ — [lastfm]Todd Duncan[/lastfm]
10. ‘Angels’ — [lastfm]Robbie Williams[/lastfm]

[Source: Spinner]

1. dan says:

UK men are a bunch of pansies.

2. Garry says:

What Hurts the Most -Rascal Flatts

3. Fred says:

I do remember hearing a song that brought out tears from me. But I do not remember what that song was. It eas over 30 years ago.

4. Russ says:

Search billions of records on

TAPS, circa 1862

It all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison’s Landing in Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land. During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moan of a soldier who lay mortally wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment. When the captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead. The captain lit a lantern. Suddenly he caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy has been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, he enlisted in the Confederate Army. The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial despite his enemy status. His request was partially granted. The captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge of the son at the funeral. That request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate. Out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician. The captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth’s uniform. This wish was granted. This music was the haunting melody we now know as “Taps” used at military funerals.

Information provided by Lt Colonel Lewis Kirkpatrick, (Ret) Reserve Officers Association

Listen to TAPS while you read the lyrics.

Day is done,

This, we, know,
    God is near.

Order To Observe Decoration Day, 1868

Back to Civil War Lyrics

Back to Newton County Families®

Back to my Newton County, Arkansas Page

I am webmaster of this site, please contact me with questions/comments, Judy Tate

Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records
    Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids

5. Laurie Ackerman says:

I vote for My Dad by Paul Petersen. It is heartfelt and a classic cry for men. What an emotional tribute to all of the dads universally.
    Thank you Paul Petersen for this timeless song that brings men to tears in a special way.

6. Gary Bryan says:

Hhow about “God Bless the USA?”

7. Mark says:

Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jackson..reminds me of my niece who died when she was 16 and still brings tears to my eyes!

8. Fred says:

Your caller is referring to “Brian’s Song” , which was composed by Michel Legrand who also composed “Windmills of Your Mind” for “The Thomas Crown Affair”

9. Tony says:

The Christmas Shoes song should be on there

10. Janet says:

How about Danny Boy??? Or Daniel (Elton John, again!)? Weddings were mentioned….and my vote for a wedding song that makes men cry is “Daddy’s Ltlle Girl”. When it was played at my wedding for the father/daughter dance, there wasn’t a dry eye in the room….

11. Fran Rivera says:

How about Beautiful Boy? It’s a song that always make my husband and me cry.

12. Janet says:

How about Danny Boy??? Or Daniel (Elton John, again!)? Weddings were mentioned….and my vote for a wedding song that makes men cry is “Daddy’s Little Girl”. When it was played at my wedding for the father/daughter dance, there wasn’t a dry eye in the room….

13. Terry says:

Mine is Hero by Mariah Carey.

14. sandy in torrance says:

Brian’s song… “Hands of time”

15. Eric says:

Simon and garfunkel . Bridge over troubled water

16. Brad Carr says:

You left out the title song to the ABC Movie of the Week, “Brian’s Song.” Billy Dee Williams and James Caan starred in it – 1971. Definitely a tear-jerker. The musical theme to Brian’s Song, “The Hands of Time,” was a popular tune during the early 1970s and has become a standard.[1] The music for the film was by Michel Legrand, with lyrics to the song by Marilyn and Alan Bergman. Nashville pianist Floyd Cramer performed a popular version of “The Hands of Time”.

17. Lori says:

Sunrise Sunset from the soundtrack of Fiddler on the Roof played at your daughter’s wedding is sure to bring on the tears from most Dads.

18. jack says:

This list could not make a baby cry

19. Linda says:

Where’ve you been by Kathy Mattea.

20. Matteo says:

I think that “(What A) Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong is a tearjerker, as well as “Don’t Close Your Eyes Tonight” by John Denver.

21. Dee says:

How about Dance With My Father by Luther Vandross

22. Bernie says:

Cats In The Cradle – Harry Chapin

23. Harvey Apparis says:

All of the 10 songs listed are great, but Luther Van Dross’s “Dance with my Father again” always brings tears to my eyes. When ever I hear it, I close my eyes and my Dad is standing there and smiling. A tear forms every single time. Miss and love you dad

24. jack says:

To a sleepin beauty by Jimmy Dean this will make a dad cry

25. Sandy says:

God Bless the USA

26. new yorker says:

the 1962 song PATCHES

27. DeeAnn Borzi says:

#2. Tears In Heaven.

28. Randy says:

I also go with “My Dad” By Paul Petersen. My dad wanted me to sing this at his funeral. Although I have sung at a lot of weddings and funerals. I could not bring myself to sing it at my dads funeral. I used to sing it to him when I was a kid.

29. Dylan says:

cats in the cradle……… gets me every time