The Top Ten This Week — 1968
Summer was turning into fall. It was 1968. If you were living in Southern California, THE station to listen to was 93/KHJ, featuring deejays (Boss Jocks) like Robert W. Morgan, The Real Don Steele, and a fella by the name of Charlie Tuna with all the hit music in rockin’ MONO on the AM side of the dial…. and these were the top 10 tunes in the U.S.A.
(last week’s position in brackets)
1. PEOPLE GOT TO BE FREE/[lastfm]The Rascals[/lastfm] (1) — their 2nd #1 song. “Groovin’” was a chart-topper in the spring of ’67. “People Got To Be Free” was #1 for 5 weeks, making it their all-time biggest hit.
2. HARPER VALLEY P.T.A./[lastfm]Jeannie C. Riley [/lastfm](4) — her only Top 40 hit. It would reach #1 NEXT week.
3. LIGHT MY FIRE/[lastfm]Jose Feliciano [/lastfm](3) — Jose’s version of the Doors hit from a year ago. This was its peak postion on the charts.
4. BORN TO BE WILD/[lastfm]Steppenwolf [/lastfm](2) — this peaked at #2 for 3 weeks in a row and is still hangin’ on; a huge summer hit for the group (their first).
5. 1, 2, 3, RED LIGHT/[lastfm]1910 Fruitgum Company[/lastfm] (7) — one of the hits in the “Bubblegum Music” genre. This is as high as it would get, and, thankfully, except for Rick from Bako, you don’t hear it anywhere on the radio in the 2010′s.
6. THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT/[lastfm]Aretha Franklin[/lastfm] (6) — in its peak position this week. Aretha is HOT. This is her 8th top ten hit in the last year and a half!
7. YOU’RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY/[lastfm]Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell[/lastfm] (8) — their 3rd top ten hit as a duo.
8. HUSH/[lastfm]Deep Purple[/lastfm] (13) — this would peak at #4. It was a remake of Billy Joe Royal’s mid-chart version from a year ago.
9. HELLO, I LOVE YOU/[lastfm]The Doors [/lastfm](5) — incredibly, this song has been in the top ten since July 20th! It spent 2 weeks at #1.
10. HEY JUDE/[lastfm]The Beatles[/lastfm] (new) — this would go on to become the Beatle’s biggest hit of all-time, spending 9 weeks at #1. It DEBUTED on the top 100 this week at this lofty position!